On Wednesday night we had dinner with Ivan, Joy, and Brian who is in town from Atlanta at Tortugas in Longmont. It took me nearly 1.5 hours in crazy traffic all the way from the Tech Center. I was nearly there and waiting at a red light when I was hit by the driver behind me, who was luckily also stopped before he decided to take his foot off the brake for reasons that will never be known. We both pulled over after the light in a not very ideal place on the main drag into downtown Longmont.
We got out of our vehicles and the first thing I asked him for was his insurance. He said "No English". Great. The man who hit me didn't speak English, didn't have insurance and I am not sure he was even driving legally. He presented me with a Matricula Consular ID which I had no knowledge of until that moment.
At this point we hadn't even looked at the cars yet. So I turn to my car and he was pointing to my bumper saying "es okay, es okay" I know a little Spanish and all of it had escaped me at that moment. All I could think to respond with was, "No bueno! No bueno!" In reality the damage was extremely minor - you can see there are 2 marks on the back bumper that we would be crazy to have fixed.
So, I took his ID, got into my car and called Chris. We decided we were pretty much screwed. I was so flustered, I thought the 2 marks represented all of the damage, but you never know. So, I took pictures of everything - his ID, him (you can see him below), his license plate, the front of his vehicle. He probably thought I was crazy - I was running around taking pictures, I didn't tell him what I was doing - it wouldn't have done any good, anyway.
When I was finished, I handed him his ID back. I was not happy. Again, the only thing I could think to say was "Bueno Suerte", which means good luck, and it wasn't necessarily meant as a well wish.
On a bright note, I made it to dinner and it was very nice. We did have to move inside from the patio when a thunderstorm with hail passed through. We have had rain and storms every day for at least the past week.
We got out of our vehicles and the first thing I asked him for was his insurance. He said "No English". Great. The man who hit me didn't speak English, didn't have insurance and I am not sure he was even driving legally. He presented me with a Matricula Consular ID which I had no knowledge of until that moment.
At this point we hadn't even looked at the cars yet. So I turn to my car and he was pointing to my bumper saying "es okay, es okay" I know a little Spanish and all of it had escaped me at that moment. All I could think to respond with was, "No bueno! No bueno!" In reality the damage was extremely minor - you can see there are 2 marks on the back bumper that we would be crazy to have fixed.
So, I took his ID, got into my car and called Chris. We decided we were pretty much screwed. I was so flustered, I thought the 2 marks represented all of the damage, but you never know. So, I took pictures of everything - his ID, him (you can see him below), his license plate, the front of his vehicle. He probably thought I was crazy - I was running around taking pictures, I didn't tell him what I was doing - it wouldn't have done any good, anyway.
When I was finished, I handed him his ID back. I was not happy. Again, the only thing I could think to say was "Bueno Suerte", which means good luck, and it wasn't necessarily meant as a well wish.
On a bright note, I made it to dinner and it was very nice. We did have to move inside from the patio when a thunderstorm with hail passed through. We have had rain and storms every day for at least the past week.
No comments:
Post a Comment