Monday, January 23, 2012

Soda Tab Bracelet

I made a soda tab bracelet last night.  I picked a shiny bronze ribbon to get a two-toned metal look.  But, I am looking forward to doing another one in a bright color.  I got this idea here where you can also see more pictures.
What you need:  1.5 yards 5/8" ribbon, 20 soda tabs, 2 bobby pins (optional)
1. Fold the ribbon in half, stringing the first soda tab toward the fold and leaving a loop on the end.  
2. Overlap the next soda tab and weave the ribbon through.  The top ribbon strand goes through the top of the tab and the bottom strand through the bottom.  

Tips:
- Make sure the soda tabs are facing the same direction, i.e. the bottom of the tab that was connected to the can is always on the bottom or the top.
- Use the bobby pins or tape the ends of the ribbon to help it through the tabs.
- Take care to straighten the ribbon out after every pass through the tab.  Otherwise, the ribbon tends to get lumpy and sloppy looking.


 You could spray paint the tabs or use the green tabs from Heineken cans (this recommendation came from Chris).  I think this would also be a cool belt - that would be a lot of tabs to collect.



Cost:
Soda Tabs: $0 (by product of our excessive soda consumption lately)
Ribbon: $.50  (3 yd spool was $1 at Michaels, but I should have enough for 1 more bracelet)
Total: $.50

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neet but all that soda is not good for you. G

Anonymous said...

Cute!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Very cute, you are so crafty
Kim