Monday, September 29, 2008

Rugby 101


This past weekend friends and family in Colorado got a little rugby lesson watching Erica and the KC Jazz play the Glendale Raptors at the amazing rugby facilities in Glendale, CO. Unfortunately, the lesson was how to get beat 73-3. The Jazz didn't have the numbers that the Raptors had and injuries didn't help. Erica's foot wasn't close to 100% but she played almost the entire game.


Like I said, the facilities in Glendale are pretty amazing. Our friend David noted that there is not much going on in Glendale except strip clubs, and luckily they decided to spend the strip club earnings on rugby! The weekend before this game, Erica played on a field that was mostly weeds and was hard as a rock. It had rained the previous week and some redneck had gone mudding in the field, leaving 3" deep tire tracks all over. In stark contrast, the facility in Glendale has a beautiful grass field. I wish my lawn looked so good. The game actually had play by play announcers and I think there were at least four television cameras. The men's game that followed Erica's game was televised the next day on Fox Sports (Rocky Mountain). Erica's game was not on TV but it can be streamed online or downloaded for later viewing. Pretty cool.

Even after the trouncing - bad foot and all - Erica was in high spirits :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Jim for the line out pic! It would have been better if we would have won the ball.

Anonymous said...

We had fun watching the game and especially enjoyed seeing Erica play. She did a great job, even with her injury. I learned that rugby is an amazingly rough game.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you played! You are crazy. But I still love you.

ERP

Anonymous said...

SHE ISN'T CRAZY, SHE IS JUST PLAIN NUTS....

Anonymous said...

Don't worry I am done with rugby for the season. I am not going to play this weekend. The foot is sore and turning black and blue.

Anonymous said...

Does that girl have that wrap above her knees just for lifting? Maybe you should do that - maybe you'd win the ball - besides, I thought you couldn't bind on shorts - did they change the rules back?

ERP

Anonymous said...

They rolled out Experimental Law Variations (ELV's) this year - lots of new rules. Binding is permitted, mauls can be pulled down by anyone, you don't have to match numbers in line outs...