Sunday, July 26, 2015

Kicking Vertigo to the Curb

I'd say I'm 95% recovered now.  Its been a little over 6.5 weeks time.  

My physical therapist says my case is on the more severe side.  He explained it like this:  your joints, eyes, and inner ear send signals to your brain.  When they are all sent and received at the same time, your body knows its position and if it's moving or not.  My signals aren't making it to the brain at the same time.

The constant ringing in my ears has become intermittent this past week, and my nystagmus (involuntary repetitive darting of the eyes) is gone.  I worked 4 days in the office this week, and no longer feel exhausted and am not sleeping 12 hours a day like I had been.

To the average bear I look and seem just fine, but I still have moments when I feel off balance and dizzy, especially in new or busy places, where there's lots of people, bright lights, if I get too hot, or don't get enough sleep.

This has just been the craziest and most bizarre thing!  On the way to 100%.

4 comments:

Roger-Kelly said...

Hang in there sweetie. If anyone can kick this to the curb you sure can! I hope you continue to feel better every day.

Sending Hugs and Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Erica - I want to kick all these post surgery complications to the curb as well. It has been quite the long haul so far and I first start my physical therapy on Aug 14th for the back surgery. I am still dealing with post surgical pain from having the lymphocele removed via open abdominal surgery on July 15th. It isn't fun having all those muscles cut through. I sure hope I am on the clear road to recovery from this point on. I had extreme nausea from about the first of July until the surgery on the 15th so I can relate to that part. It was awful. Take care Love Auntie K

Erica said...

Hi Aunt Krissy - you have been on my mind. You are one tough cookie and I have no doubt you will be 100% recovered soon. You take care as well. Xoxo Erica

Anonymous said...

WHATS NEW?